Decatur is getting a new dog park.
The park will be located at the property adjacent to Decatur Animal Services. The grand opening is at 10 a.m. May 18. The grand opening on May 18 is also the same day they’re holding a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. The fourth annual Bark for Life fundraiser will be at Decatur Animal Services from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. A specialized rendition of Relay for Life, pet owners are encouraged to bring their pups for a morning relay walk and an afternoon of family fun and themed events.
The registration fee for each dog brought to Bark for Life is a $10 donation to the American Cancer Society. Participants can pay upon arrival. Cash is requested. Any donations can be dropped off at Decatur Animal Services during normal business hours, Monday–Friday, 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m, or Saturday, 10 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- Dogs must wear a current rabies tag.
- Enter at your own risk.
- Open dawn to dusk.
- The City of Decatur is not liable for any damage, injury or loss.
- The park is for dog use only.
- Limit two dogs per adult/handler.
- Handlers must be 16 years of age or older.
- No children younger than 9 years old allowed in the dog park.
- Children 9 to 15 years old must have adult supervision.
- Puppies younger than 4 months old, dogs in heat or pregnant dogs are prohibited.
- Aggressive dogs must be removed immediately.
- Dogs must be current on their parvovirus, kennel cough, bordetella and distemper vaccines.
- No food, beverages or smoking allowed.
- Dog waste must be cleaned up immediately by dog owners/handlers.
- Owner/handler must be with their dogs at all times.
Sponsorships and registration fees can also be submitted on the American Cancer Society’s website.
If you would like to sponsor a booth or have questions about Bark for Life, please contact Decatur Animal Services at (256) 341-4790.